Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Manga Review: Jackass! by Scarlet Beriko


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: SuBLime (VIZ Media)
Release Date: October 2017
Volumes: 1.
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

When the panty hose go on, all bets are off between these best guy friends!

Practical Keisuke’s incredibly handsome best friend Masayuki has always rubbed him just a little bit the wrong way. Maybe it’s because Masayuki is rich, carefree, and so stunningly handsome that he can, and does, have any girl he wants? But one day, when Keisuke accidentally wears his older sister’s panty hose to gym class, it’s suddenly his hot friend who’s doing the rubbing…on Keisuke’s panty hose-clad legs! Has he unwittingly unleashed a secret fetish that will change their relationship forever?

Review:

I wasn't sure what to expect with this volume, other than it sounded fun and looked nice.
Keisuke lives with his aunt, and his childhood friend is gay, and he's never considered himself that. Until suddenly he gets in a situation involving another best friend and some pantyhose...
As the volume started, I wasn't really sure who was who, and it felt a bit like I was missing something. Like there had been a previous series or something. But after things started getting a bit steamy, it got good, and then I didn't want to put it down.
This was definitely a high school story. I appreciated the sense of bromance, the actual male friendships not even including the romance; these were all just guys, even if some of them were in love with another one. It also had quite a bit of conflicted teenage angst; Keisuke didn't know what he wanted, and he was teasing Masayuki in a bit of a childish way at one point, but it felt real and relateable.
I really enjoyed the main romance, how it developed and how it led to more. It was fun and hot, and I liked the use of the fetish. There was also two sub-plot romances, and I really enjoyed them, as well. The childhood friend and his bully had their own plotlines, and I actually liked both a lot. I was a little unsure how it was going to end, but I liked it. I normally wouldn't like the “bully” character, but I think it was handled well here, and obvious to everyone his real feelings.
At the end, it felt like there needed to be more, like some of the minor characters needed more exploring. I might have also just wanted more.
I was surprisingly impressed with this volume, and now I want more.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment