Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Manga Review: I Hear the Sunspot by Yuki Fumino


Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: One Peace Books
Release Date: August 2017
Volumes: 3+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Because of a hearing disability, Kohei is often misunderstood and has trouble integrating into life on campus, so he learns to keep his distance. That is until he meets the outspoken and cheerful Taichi. He tells Kohei that his hearing loss is not his fault. Taichi's words cut through Kohei's usual defense mechanisms and open his heart. More than friends, less than lovers, their relationship changes Kohei forever.

Review:

Kohei has a hearing disability, and so a lot of people think he's rude and antisocial. Taichi accidentally bumps into him, and thus forms a friendship. Taichi starts taking notes for Kohei in class, and Kohei gives him food.
I liked Taichi from the beginning. He's a poor college student, and he loves food. It's rather relatable, actually. Kohei wasn't born deaf, and he can still hear somewhat, and he doesn't even know sign language. It was a really interesting take on being deaf, and I appreciated it.
The yaoi element is rather slow, and takes quite a lot of the volume to even become apparent to the characters. It's definitely felt from early on, though, and I loved seeing their struggles with their feelings, especially Kohei's. It's hard and painful. The ending is somewhat open, but still in a nice place. I'm so glad that there's a sequel, because I need there to be more to their story.
I'm really glad that I picked this up, and I cannot wait to read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment