Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Manga Review: Say I Love You, Volume 18, by Kanae Hazuki


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: December 2017
Volumes: 18.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 17.

Goodreads Synopsis:

"I LOVE YOU." After travelling down different paths in their post-secondary educations, Mei and her friends finally enter the world of working adults—with new challenges around every corner! As the people around Mei face life-changing events like marriage and parenting, she reflects on her journey from a shy, asocial high schooler to who she is now. Surrounded by so many fulfilling relationships, Mei comes to a profound realization about what’s important in life and love.

Review:

I think this series lost me a few volumes ago. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, and this was a good ending. But something has just felt off in the last few volumes.
We get to see a few side characters get their happy ending, and those were very nice. While I would have liked something more definite between Megumi and Kai, I do think it's fitting where they end up, and I am happy believing that more will progress. Given that we saw Asami and Nakanishi struggling in the last couple volumes, I had a hard time believing their ending. It just seemed like a bad decision to me.
I've been rooting for Mei and Yamato this entire series, of course, so it's probably weird that their ending feels so off to me. It just seems like they never lost the awkwardness between them. Even when they're living together, it feels like they're moving around each other weirdly, going out of their way to impress each other and not just living day to day with each other. Their decision to finally marry at the end was sweet, yeah, but it also seemed like weird timing, I guess. If they've gone this far, why didn't they do it before? What is it going to change now?
On one hand, the ending is very sweet. On the other, it just felt off, a bit awkward. I liked it, but I'm also a little disappointed. I guess I was hoping for more, and I was hoping I would be more satisfied with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment